“Do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is” Ephesians 5:17
Most of us, either openly or secretly, struggle with finding God’s will for our lives. Sometimes we long for an audible voice giving us directions or telling us the answer. One problem with waiting for His voice is we do nothing, just in case we might go against His will. But what if we already know His will? What if He has clearly revealed His will for our lives?
First, let’s strip away theological meanderings, traditional liturgy, and false expectations. Let’s prepare the soil of our hearts and minds for a new crop; plow up the crusty surface of misunderstandings and misconceptions to receive His direction; to know His will. Lo and behold, bits and pieces of this deep mystery (or so we think of it) rise from His written word, the book of absolute truth…there all the time!
- Romans 12:2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:3 God’s will is that your lives are dedicated to him. This means that you stay away from sexual immorality
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
- Ephesians 5:15-17 Be very careful then, how you live, not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
We should be encouraged and relieved to know that God has revealed His will to us through the Bible. As believers we are prepared to walk this walk and know His will for our lives. We are also instructed to pray for each other to understand God’s His will for our lives, according to the following verses:
5. Colossians 1:9 For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of His will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding.
6. Ephesians 1:15-17 For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.
“Here then, are three keys for knowing God’s will. The first is a yielded body, the second a separated life, and the third a transformed mind.” William MacDonald, Believer’s Bible Commentary.
Our Heavenly Father has done everything to prepare us to live according to His will. He has given us all we need to follow His direction. We are saved, forgiven of all sins, filled with His Holy Spirit and armed with the Word of God. As we pray, fellowship with other believers and read His word, we will understand His perfect will for our lives.
Regarding daily decisions, sometimes God wants us to make our own decisions, trusting in Him to prepare the way. If God does not want us to go or do something, He will do everything to let us know. As followers of Christ, ours is a life of faith: “For we live by faith, not by sight.” 2 Corinthians 5:7